Thursday 5 October 2017

Pixies, Elves,and Other Creatures.


Pixies, Elves, and Other Creatures. - This next entry is going to be a collaboration effort, so hope you like it. 😅

Exmouth Pixie- I had a cool Gran that was from South London. I never met my Gran, but she use to write to me and send me neat stuff. This Gran was into horoscopes, gambling, good luck charms, dancing etc., and all when it was frowned upon...My Gran was a free spirit type and a Sagittarius 💖
This one time she sent me an Exmouth Pixie and I thought, "wow Gran that looks evil"😟😈
So for the longest time I could not find much information about this Exmouth Pixie, but I have found a little bit out.
Exmouth Pixie

For those of you that don't know,  Exmouth is a seaside resort in East Devon, England, sited on the east bank of the mouth of the River Exe. I'm not sure I have been to Exmouth, but I have been to Devon and Cornwall.  My Pixie would be a Devon Pixie if he is from Exmouth, but I see more info on Cornwall Pixies (maybe its one and the same)...? Here is what I have found: Pixies are mythical creatures of folklore, considered to be particularly concentrated in the high moorland areas around Devon and Cornwall, suggesting some Celtic origin for the belief and name. Apparently they steal horses and children, & lead travellers astray.(good grief !) Pixies are believed to inhabit ancient underground ancestor sites such as stone circles, barrows, dolmens, ring forts or menhirs....They like to dance! Before the mid-19th century, pixies and fairies were taken seriously in much of Cornwall and Devon.  In some areas belief in pixies and fairies as real beings persists.
My pixie is from "Devon" and this is what is said about them: In Devon, pixies are said to be "invisibly small, and harmless or friendly to man."I was told: all who wear this charm will have luck, health and happiness! 
The Queen of the "Cornish" pixies is said to be "Joan the wad" and she is considered to be good luck or bring good luck. 
This is Joan


Creature Feature-

The "Creature" I'm going to write about is Ogopogo....

I live in B.C. western Canada, and in Canadian Folklore  Ogopogo is a lake monster reported to live in Okanagan Lake. The area kind of reminds me of northern Italy, with lakes and vineyards etc....The first nations people (native Indians of B.C.) have reported seeing Ogopogo since the 19th century. This lake monster kind of reminds me of Nessie in Scotland (same idea). As a child and visiting the area of Okanagan Lake, I was so afraid to swim in the lake thinking Ogopogo would get me😅 Ogopogo is said to be 40 to 50-foot-long (12 to 15 m), and here is a kids play area with an idea of what they think he/she might look like:
Ogopogo




Ps/ If you find Ogopogo interesting, then there is further reading here: http://www.ogopogoquest.com/old/index.html              

*Part 2 of  Pixies, Elves, and Other Creatures is coming up (it wont let us collaborate on same page:( *********************************************************************************

No comments:

Post a Comment